Monday, January 20, 2014

Homemade Bread


I am sharing with you the recipe I use to make delicious homemade bread. There isn't much prep work involved. Usually I mix it up right before I go to bed and then I don't have to touch it again until I get home from work the next day. If you actually have some left I make french toast the following morning. Oh it's way too good!!
  • In a large bowl combine flour, yeast, and salt.


  • Add 1 1/2 cups of water, and stir until blended. I personally have found that I need to knead the bread with my hands to get it fully mixed together. 




  • Once you get it all mixed, leave it in the bowl and add plastic wrap to cover it. I am going to find a way in the future to use something other than plastic wrap. My mom gave me this wonderful idea because we live in Washington and it's fairly cold most of the year. Place the bowl in the oven and just turn the oven light on. The light keeps the bread a little warmer than just placing it on the counter, and the dough just loves it. Let it sit here for 12 hours, preferably about 18 hours. I normally do 18 hours. I tried it at 12 hours and the dough was not as happy. :(


  • Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles.

  • Liberally flour a pastry mat (or parchment paper) and place the dough onto it. Sprinkle the dough with a little more flour & fold it over on itself 3 or 4 times. 

  • Fold the two sides of the pastry mat over the dough and let it stand on the counter for another 2 hours to let it rise. I actually put it back in the bowl and put it in the oven with the light again.
  • After the 2 hours of rising preheat the oven to 450. Make sure to take the bowl of dough out first!! I put the dough in the pampered chef deep covered baker, but if you have any kind of stone/cast iron dutch oven with a lid, or something similar it would work too. I haven't tried this as I have a deep covered baker that was given to me from my grandmother at my bridal shower. Before you put the dough in the baker, make sure you oil all of the edges. You could also put parchment paper in the baker so it doesn't stick. There isn't really any clean up using the oil, but this insures it. I just oil my stone walls and lid. 


  • Bake for 30 minutes. Take the lid off and bake for another 8-15 minutes.The top of the bread should be golden brown. Cool on a rack.
  • If you want until it cools, it's very easy to cut.



I have made french toast with this bread and it is absolutely the best. I basically want to make it every Saturday. The powdered sugar I sprinkled on it in the picture below is not necessary. I was just trying to make it fancy. 






No comments:

Post a Comment